16 month baby not eating properly. Suffering from cough, cold and fever. Can i continue the CYP-L?

My baby boy is 16 months old. Weight 10.5 kg, height 82 cm.. He is very active but not eats well.I am worried about his weight gain.Doctor prescribed him CYP-L for improving his apetite.. will It increase his weight? For the last 4 days he is suffering from cough and cold. and mild fever. i have given him only paracetamol, but he is not eating anything.. no solids,.. only juices and milk.. will be it sufficient for him? he is crying also.
Can i continue the CYP-L during this?
Posted Fri, 10 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
At this age, height and weight of your boy is quite normal. A child not eating properly might have worm infestation or some chronic infection.
I would suggest you to go for stool test for ova and cyst to rule out worms. If there is an infection, we would need to start appropriate medication.
When children are sick, they would generally tend to eat less. At this time, give him calorie dense foods like kheer, sabudana khichdi, suji with milk so that a small amount will also give them enough calories. In addition, give him steam inhalation twice a day. If the cough and cold is pretty severe, please see a physician. For the blocked nose, you can put saline nasal drops like Nosair saline 2-3 times a day. He may need some medications like anti-allergics which need to be given under the supervision of your physician.
CYP-L is given for his appetite. This will improve his appetite and will start eating. You can continue giving CYP-L during this period.
Hope, I answered your query.
If you have further query or clarification, please ask.
I will be happy to help.
The very best for your child.