13 year old has fainting spells, lost weight. Drinks lots of carbonated drinks. Is it diabetes ?

My daughter is 13 yrs old in the last few months she has lost weight and is now 7 stone 3 lbs she is approx 5'1 tall also her periods have stopped . She has had fainting spells, she is drinking lots of carbonated drinks, it all pointed to diabetes so I borrowed my fathers tester kit and checked her sugar levels this afternoon and they were high off the scale of the machine I left it a few hours and retested her and the system is still showing off the scale .... She is not poorly or having any symptoms of a hypo . Could this be diabetes or is there another condition which gives the same symptoms
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The symptoms of weight loss with fainting spells could be due to -
1. Diabetes.
2. Anorexia nervosa.
3. Anaemia.
4. Cardiac rhythm disturbances.
5. Electrolyte imbalance like hypokalemia- low potassium levels.
All these causes need to be ruled out after proper clinical examination and appropriate investigations.
Since her blood sugar levels are on a higher side, she needs adequate treatment under the guidance of physician.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.