13 weeks pregnant. Accidentally consumed a small amount of body lotion. Any complication?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
i accidentally consumed a small amount of body lotion and i am 13 weeks pregnant

Posted Tue, 16 Oct 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 13 minutes later

There may not be much affect on the fetus as you consumed only a small amount of body lotion.
The affect on the fetus mainly depends on the ingredients in that body lotion.
If you mention the ingredients in the lotion you consumed we can discuss better.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: 13 weeks pregnant. Accidentally consumed a small amount of body lotion. Any complication? 27 minutes later
thank you for your response dr. gouri

i probably consumed about the size of a XXXXXX

there are many ingredients, but i will list the first 15 or so
aqua
propylene glycol
stearic acid
carthamus tinctorius (safflower) seed oil
mineral oil
glyceryl stearate
cetyle alcohol
DMDM hydantoin
parfum
triethanalamine
dimethicone
methyparaben
carbomer
persea gratissima (avocado) oil

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 3 hours later
Among the ingredients you mentioned:

Aqua Glycolic, triethanolamine, Dimethicone, carthamus tinctorius (safflower) seed oil, stearic acid, carbomer, mineral oil belongs to category C drugs in pregnancy according to FDA.
Means animal studies proved some adverse effects on fetus but sufficient human studies are lacking.

Propylene Glycol, glyceryl stearate, Cetearyl Alcohol belongs to category B drugs in pregnancy according to FDA.
Means animal studies showed no adverse effects on fetus but sufficient human studies are lacking.

DMDM hydantoin, Parfum, Methylparaben, Persea gratissima (avocado) oil belongs to not classified drugs category in pregnancy.

So, on the whole as you consumed only little quantity and already crossed the first trimester there may not be much harm to the fetus.
Better undergo ultrasound once as a part of routine checkup which will also rule out any possible abnormality.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.