11 year old child, right testicle pain, frequent urination, suffering from cold. Causes for severe pain?

Pulmonologist
Question
my son is 11 and he his right testicle started hurting friday. Today he has been urinating frequently once every 30-40 min. The Pain he says feels like his testicle has been squished. He did have a cold on Monday.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 38 minutes later

Right testicular pain in your son could be due to any of the following:

1. Injury
2. Infection or inflammation (epididymitis/ orchitis)
3. Testicular torsion
4. It could also be a referred pain from a kidney stone which is passing downwards (Since urinating urge is there).

You can do the following immediate steps:

1. Provide support to the scrotum.
2. Apply ice to the scrotum.
3. While lying down, place a rolled towel under the scrotum.
4. You can give your son: acetaminophen - analgesics.
5. Give plenty of water orally.

However since there is also a history of frequent urination, you should take your son immediately to the Doctor who can examine the testicle and do the necessary investigations (imaging - ultra sound, urine examination) and thereby prescribe appropriate drugs/further line of management (antibiotics - in case of local infection/ Torsion testes is an emergency and requires surgery/ Kidney stones require conservative management most of the times.)
Please take your son immediately to the doctor/ ER.

Hope I have answered you query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.