11 month baby facing difficulty to pass stool. What treatment should be done?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
my 11months daughter faces difficulties to pass the stool. it is black and dry. she cannot bear any milk, if given, her stool gets dysentrious and gets motion again and againg. now her motion is dry and again and againg even during within one feed she gets two or three motions. even during drinking water she gets montion and tying to pass bowl and faces enourmous problem to pass it. the quanity of bowl is so small. her stool test is normal except occult blood is posivitve. How can I relief her. her food char like. 1) 2 Biscuits with neosobi casin 7 a.m 2)banana with nestum 2- 10 a.m 3) Boiling rice with some vegetable. at 12 to 12.30 p.m. 4) boiling XXXXXXX at 3.30 p.m 5) 2 or 3 horlicks biscuits with newsobee casin at 6.30 p.m 6) nestum 2 at 9 p.m and she gets sleep 7) at midnight she gets newsobee casin. Her weight is now 8.5kg.
Posted Sun, 4 Nov 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 14 minutes later
Thanks for sharing your concern with us.
Its possible that your child has cow's milk protein allergy. Along with this the child may have secondary lactose intolerance ( the child is unable to tolerate a sugar lactose present in the milk) due to prolonged diarrhoea.
Please answer the following questions to help me help you better:
a. Did he have stool reducing substance positive when he was on milk?

You seem to be giving quite a good diet with fruits!
You can add some mashed potato and fruit juices to increase the weight gain and one more Nestum by evening if possible.
What was her birth weight? If it is about 1 kg less than 3 times her birth weight, it is normal.
Give her more water and oral electrolytes available in sachets (when there is watery stool). Repeat stool occult blood test after a month and please get a urine routine and culture done to rule out urinary infection now.
Hoping all the best for your child.
Let me know if you have any more questions
Follow-up: 11 month baby facing difficulty to pass stool. What treatment should be done? 23 minutes later
what can i do now? she gets again and again bowl motion with constipation and gets tired to pass the bowl.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 4 hours later
Hi ,
I would like to know what do you mean by saying XXXXXXX again and again bowl motion with constipation?" Please clarify
How many times does she passes stools per day?
The following tests would be needed in her
1. Urine test for routine and culture
As of now, you should continue the same diet and give her oral electrolytes.
It would also be great if you can get a second opinion by showing the baby to another pediatrician there to examine the child preferably pediatric gastroenterologist.
Hope that addresses your concern
Good luck
Follow-up: 11 month baby facing difficulty to pass stool. What treatment should be done? 13 hours later
I want to mean by "again and again bowl motion with constipation" that she passes stool again and again even during feeding or drinking passess stool two or three times and she faces problem to pass the stool because the stool is so dry and blackish. She passes stool almost 7 or 8 times in a day with a very small amount each time. Probably her stool is not so clear in one time.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 2 hours later

Child passing stool when feeding or drinking anything is a normal reflex and will improve with time.

Do not worry about passing stools many times if it is not watery!
Black stool may be from iron in food. Both nestum and nusobee casein contain iron. Are you giving any iron drops also?

To make the stool less dry give more water in between feeds.

Hope this clears your doubts.

Good luck
Dr Uma