1 year old took aspirin. Should I be worried?

General Surgeon
My 1-year-old put a tablet of aspirin in her mouth. I noticed it immediately and took most of it out and cleaned her mouth with water, although she might have swallowed a small fragment. I heard that aspirin is XXXXXXX What symptoms should I watch out for in case I need to call an ambulance?
Posted Fri, 25 Jan 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 14 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

What you have heard is probably Reye`s syndrome. This syndrome is associated with aspirin intake in children with viral infection. However its real cause is uncertain. It usually affect children in age 4-12. You need to know that this is extremely rare condition (it appears in less than 1 cases per million children) so probably nothing wrong will happen.
The symptoms you should be aware of are rash on hands or feet, vomiting, tiredness, headaches, fever.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.