1 month old is having fever. Medical test result showed normal. Giving medicine. What is going on?

Dear Sir or Madam,
I am a father of a 1 month old daughter that now hospitalized for the third day in Ljubljana Clinical Centre (Slovenia, Europe). She has a constant fever ranging from 37,5 to 38,2°C, and obviously experiencing some sort of pain most probably in the abdominal section, because she wakes up every few minutes from her sleep crying. Blood test results and spinal fluid tests didn't show anything wrong, ultrasound of the abdominal didn't show anything either. She is fully breast fed and is eating normally, no vomiting, her excrement is light (bright) yellow and regular. She is being treated with antibiotics, glucose and received 1/3 of paracetamol twice. There were already 6 doctors checking her, but as they said they have no clue what is happening to her. Please help in any way you can.
Best regards, Uroš
Posted Sat, 13 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 1 hour later

infants are highly susceptible for serious infections, especially in early days of life. I appreciate that you opted for early medical evaluation and therapy.
I will take it to my understanding that since birth this is the first sickness for the baby. Febrile newborns often start refusing feed even with little infection and that makes them dehydrated, hypoglycemic and complicated. in addition, there is a chance for rapid spread of infection to various systems as newborn immunity is much less.
Considering these, your treating doctors seem to have isolated the child and started on multi system evaluation and therapy.
What appears to be happening is that the infant is hospitalized for the risk of sepsis and accordingly antibiotics have been started.
its good that most reports are normal. I am not much worried about crying infant in the hospital as the pain may be due to anything from bedsheet folds to painful IV line or fever. In fact, I would see pain and crying as a feature of less serious issue in newborns and infants and serious infections often tend to make baby lethargic.
now what infection we may be dealing with is of debate. A bacterial culture may help confirm or rule out a bacterial infection. Often the infections in this age group are viral and respond in 3-5 days with symptomatic therapy, hydration and prophylactic antibiotics.
Discuss with your doctor and let me know regarding consciousness, breathing issues and any circulation issues.. if any present may prolong the hospital stay.

Thanks.. pls get back with details mentioned above.
Follow-up: 1 month old is having fever. Medical test result showed normal. Giving medicine. What is going on? 7 hours later
Respected Dr. Kondekar,

I just returned from hospital, that's why my reply is rather late.
Here's the update - my daughter has no problems regarding consciousness, breathing is normal, except a bit faster during pain, oxygen saturation good (90-100%), no problems with blood circulation, except for rather high heart beat rate (180-190 bpm).
You mentioned that pain could be caused by bedsheet folds, IV line or fever, but those pain attacks were occurring even before we went to the hospital. They started on Thursday evening, on Friday we were admitted.
The latest possibility that our doctor mentioned is, that it could be the early stages of 6th disease, but there are no rashes present, so they're not sure really.
Now they are treating her with 1/3 paracetamol every 6 hours and wide array antibiotics. They already did they bacterial cultures test, but they were all negative, they are still waiting for the results from blood test.
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 58 minutes later
Thanks for follow up. There seem to be no danger signs from your description…
Excess cry can also be due to nose block or ear ache or brain irritation too.
Wishing early recovery…
Feel free to write back.