What is Dayquil?
Vicks DayQuil is an over-the-counter combination medication product used for the temporary relief of common cold and flu symptoms. DayQuil is available in several formulations including:
- DayQuil Cough (dextromethorphan)
- DayQuil Cold & Flu (acetaminophen, dextromethorphan, phenylephrine)
- DayQuil Severe Cold & Flu (acetaminophen, dextromethorphan, guaifenesin, phenylephrine)
- DayQuil Mucus Control DM (dextromethorphan, guaifenesin)
- Dayquil Sinex (acetaminophen, phenylephrine, or oxymetazoline)
DayQuil was introduced in 1974 under the name "DayCare" and is currently advertised for daytime use because of its non-drowsy active ingredients. The brand name was reintroduced as "DayQuil" in 1992. DayQuil's nighttime counterpart, NyQuil, is also available for the relief of cold and flu symptoms during the night. These products are not intended to cure the common cold or the flu.