Tropical eosinophilia

What is Tropical eosinophilia?

Tropical (pulmonary) eosinophilia, or TPE, is characterized by coughing, asthmatic attacks, and an enlarged spleen, and is caused by Wuchereria bancrofti, a filarial infection. It occurs most frequently in India and Southeast Asia. Tropical eosinophilia is considered a manifestation of a species of microfilaria. This disease can be confused with tuberculosis, asthma, or coughs related to roundworms.

Tropical pulmonary eosinophilia is a rare, but well recognised, syndrome characterised by pulmonary interstitial infiltrates and marked peripheral eosinophilia. Early recognition and treatment with the antifilarial drug, diethylcarbamazine, is important, as delay before treatment may lead to progressive interstitial fibrosis and irreversible impairment.

The condition of marked eosinophilia with pulmonary involvement was first termed tropical pulmonary eosinophilia in 1950.

Questions and answers on "Tropical eosinophilia"

how to reduce eosinophil in my blood ,it is more than normal amount ,i am 18 , male, no treatment done yet

doctor1 MD

Hi Michael,
Welcome to HCM.
Eosinophilia can occur in many allergic conditions as well as in tropical eosinophilia.
Consult a Doctor who will have...

Read Full Thread   Ask a Doctor Now

hi sir,my uncle is suffering with eosinophilia so please give ur valuable suggestion?and he is suffering with nasal blockage.he underwent forced...

doctor1 MD


Welcome to HCM.
Your uncle is most likely to be suffering from Tropical eosinophilia or chronic allergy.
He needs to consult a physician who...

Read Full Thread   Ask a Doctor Now

I am suffering from very high AEC count in blood. I am facing problem of breath shortening and Gastric Problems for last 6 years but I kept...

doctor1 MD

Hello and welcome to HCM,
AEC count is the absolute eosinophil count.
The normal AEC is between 100-600/ cobic millimeter.
Eosinophil count...

Read Full Thread   Ask a Doctor Now

Recent questions on Tropical eosinophilia

Ask Question
Doctor Image

Hi, I am Dr. Andrew Rynne (Family Physician). I will be guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.