Seborrheic keratosis

What is Seborrheic keratosis?

A seborrheic keratosis (also known as "seborrheic verruca," and "senile wart") is a noncancerous benign skin growth that originates in keratinocytes. Like liver spots, seborrheic keratoses are seen more often as people age. In fact, they are sometimes humorously referred to as the "barnacles of old age".

The lesions appear in various colors, from light tan to black. They are round or oval, feel flat or slightly elevated (like the scab from a healing wound), and range in size from very small to more than 2.5cm across. though they have no viral origins. They can also resemble melanoma skin cancer, though they are unrelated to melanoma. Because only the top layers of the epidermis are involved, seborrheic keratoses are often described as having a "pasted on" appearance. Some dermatologists refer to seborrheic keratoses as "seborrheic warts"; these lesions, however, are usually not associated with HPV, and therefore such nomenclature is discouraged.

Questions and answers on "Seborrheic keratosis"

Hi Doctor, I noticed a single bump on my scrotum after a recent sexual exposure. I don't know if it had been there before or not. The benign's...

doctor1 MD

Brief Answer:
lesion looks benign.No need to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in.
I have gone through your history and image...

Read Full Thread   Ask a Doctor Now

im fifty and have started getting freckles on my legs. i can scrape them off with my fingernail.

doctor1 MD

Hi ,
Thanks for writing in .
The condition can be seborrheic keratosis, xerotic dermatitis etc .
Freckles usually occur on sun exposed are and not...

Read Full Thread   Ask a Doctor Now

A brown spot appeared on the shaft of my penis - I'd like to send a pic and get an opinion.

doctor1 MD

Hi ,

Thanks for writing in .

I have gone through your photos and I feel that brown spot you are describing can be Seborrheic keratosis.However it...

Read Full Thread   Ask a Doctor Now

Recent questions on Seborrheic keratosis

Ask Question
Doctor Image

Hi, I am Dr. Andrew Rynne (Family Physician). I will be guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Related Drugs/Medications
Related Treatment/Therapy
Related Lab Tests
Related Procedures