Rectal prolapse

What is Rectal prolapse?

Rectal prolapse occurs when the rectum falls from its normal anatomical position(comes into or out of the anal canal). Usually it is associated with straining while defecating.

- Written by

Questions and answers on "Rectal prolapse"

Hello after stool I find that a mass falling from rectal area..but goes in when pushed. I suffer from constipation also.what should I do?
Brief Answer:
It can be rectal prolapse.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into the problem and the history you give I would say that in my opinion you are suffering from rectal prolapse . Patients with rectal prolapse generally report a mass...
Read Full Thread     Ask a Doctor Now »
rectal prolapse ?
i am 26 years old and have had constipation my hole life and from pushing i have pushed so hard lumps come out my anus like my intestines are going out my but and now i have noticed white mucus stripes and wonderring if i have rectal prolapse or colon cancer or what
The type of symptoms you are discribing it looks like a rectal prolapse and now you are suffering from mucous discharge .
You need to consult your doctor as soon as possible and if its really a rectal prolapse then he may consider for rectal reconstruction surgery.
And regarding colon cancer...
Read Full Thread     Ask a Doctor Now »
I has a rectal prolapse; and told surgery could become an emergency. Having had a vaginal prolapse, I had no idea what was in store for me. He removed 24"of colon; capped off the original area; opened a hole in side of rectum and sealed w/mesh. I left hospital w/infection and had an 8.3cm hernia operated on at Mayo. Now I have terrible gastro issues and my pain is like labor - nerves fire if I walk much. Once the nerves go off, all I can do is lie down. Fetynol may help; I don't know how bad it would be w/o. When I had the defecating ptoctogram, the tube must have hit area he closed off because I was shaking, I had so much pain. I feel a "rock" inside that, when I walk, pushes inward and aggravates the nerves. Removing mesh is too risky. I had an SI injection that gave same pain. Do you know about sacral plexus? Someone along this journey mentioned this - nerve damage. I was so active and healthy and blindly trusted this dr. Redundant colon, he said, is why he removed the colon (24") no life now. My rt leg has gotten weaker/painful; possibly from the rear ending, , but surgery has complicated everything. I also got lost in the system between military and civilian doctors so, no continuity. I hope this helps. Never had issues as far as cramping, but normal function is gone since surgery.
Brief Answer:
Need More Information

Detailed Answer:

Greetings of the day

I wonder what were the operations performed on you

What was the indication of the same ?

Why do you want to go for a Sigmoid resection ?

Can you describe the nature and intensity of pain ?Is there any relief in pain...
Read Full Thread     Ask a Doctor Now »
I noticed that I have a part of anus hanging out of my butt. It has been there since over a year. I just figured out that it is not normal and I am very tensed about it. I would like to get rid of it and have a normal ass. Could you please give me helpful advice, any medical treatment or surgeries possible. I would be very thankful.
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have either what is called as sentinel pile or polyp.

however final diagnosis can be confirmed only on clinical and proctoscopic examination by qualified Geneerl Surgeon.

Please go ahead and consult General...
Read Full Thread     Ask a Doctor Now »
which is the latest less invasive surgical and medical treatment for rectal prolapse,ulcers,modularity & hemorrhoids? The girl is 30 yrs old with moderate C.P. with loss of control over anal sphincter.Can both the problems [prolapse & hemorrhoids ] be surgically treated at one time? What is modularity and what are causes?
Thank for asking to HCM
I really appreciate your concern and looing to the history given here I could say that if this is rectum problem or pathologies which includes prolapse, hemorrhoids, and other lesion, in my opinion better to see the surgeon (Gastrointestinal) with newer technics this...
Read Full Thread     Ask a Doctor Now »
rectal prolapse ,followed by burnin g pain and swelling in right leg pea sized bluish/purple lump on right shin --- Awaiting surgery for prolapse-- incontinent renally and faecally --- stools fairly regular and urine normal Should I opt for prolapse surgery--- Am worried about lump in shin-- should I be? 83 year old female reasonably healthy
Hi, dear
I have gone through your question. I can understand your concern. You may have some tissue tumor or cyst on leg. It will not affect your surgery. You have rectal prolapse so you should go for surgery for prolapse. Don't worry about lump on leg. If it remains persistently then excision...
Read Full Thread     Ask a Doctor Now »
I have pain in my rectum - the diagram I found of rectal prolapse seems to be the issue. I have had constipation and cannot have a movement or cannot complete it. When I cannot have a movement but need to I even have trouble urinating. If I finally am able to have a movement (very painful) then I can urinate again. I have been taking stool softeners and began taking Miralax and magnesium citrate. I cannot get to see a GI doctor for 10 days
Hi and welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thank you for your query. I understand your concerns and I will try to help you as much as I can.
These symptoms indicate in most cases prostate issues such as prostatitis or hypertrophy and rarely it may be sign of STD infection. You should avoid intercourse...
Read Full Thread     Ask a Doctor Now »
Ive been experiencing rectal prolapse with yellow stringy mucous that has a very foul odor. Sit kn stool for hours. After words I chill and ache alk . Any ideas? COLON CANCER RUNS HIGH IN MY FAMILY. I HAD PATIAL MASECTKMY LAST SPRING FOR CANCER. ANY IDEAS
Hi thanks for contacting HCM ..

You have complaint of rectal prolapse ...

So you have to consult surgeon for proctoscopy examination....

It might be associated with piles if bleeding in stool also present...

Get your stool routine microscopic examination also. ..

You need to given stool softeners...
Read Full Thread     Ask a Doctor Now »
View more

Health resources related to Rectal prolapse

A Doctor will be with you shortly
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor