Paroxysmal hemicrania

What is Paroxysmal hemicrania?

Chronic paroxysmal hemicrania (CPH), also known as Sjaastad syndrome, is a severe debilitating unilateral headache usually affecting the area around the eye. It normally consists of multiple severe, yet short, headache attacks affecting only one side of the cranium. It is more commonly diagnosed in women than in men, but, unlike a migraine, has no neurological symptoms associated with it. CPH headaches are treated through the use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, with indomethacin found to be usually effective in eliminating symptoms.

Paroxysmal hemicrania is classified by the frequency and duration of attacks experienced by patients. Episodic paroxysmal hemicrania attacks occur at least twice a year and last anywhere from seven days to a year with pain free periods of a month or longer separating them. Chronic paroxysmal hemicrania attacks occur over the course of more than a year without remission or with remissions lasting less than a month.

Questions and answers on "Paroxysmal hemicrania"

HI, I am 17 weeks and 1 day pregnant. I have a history of migraines and paroxysmal hemicrania. Though they have reduce by 95% percent since I moved...

doctor1 MD

hi,with 17 wks pregnancy you can take treatement suggested by your dentist.most antibiotics and analgesics are safe in this stage.

Read Full Thread   Ask a Doctor Now

I'm a 20 year old female & I've been dealing with a chronic low grade fever for over a year now. It comes and goes, usually around 99.3-100, though...

doctor1 MD

Hi. Too many tests and too many consultations are unnecessary. Consider getting yourself tested for HIV, syphilis, chlamydia or gonorrhea. Viral...

Read Full Thread   Ask a Doctor Now

i am a doctor myself,i have been suffering from tension headaches for the past 8 and half years.i have tried almost everything-innumerable...

doctor1 MD


Thank you for your query.

1. Along with Vit D, get adequate sunlight for atleast half an hour a day and take a calcium supplement if your...

Read Full Thread   Ask a Doctor Now

Recent questions on Paroxysmal hemicrania

Ask Question
Doctor Image

Hi, I am Dr. Andrew Rynne (Family Physician). I will be guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Related Drugs/Medications
Related Lab Tests
Related Procedures
Related Medical Topics