Korsakoff syndrome

What is Korsakoff syndrome?

Wernicke–Korsakoff syndrome (WKS), also called wet brain, Korsakoff's psychosis, and alcoholic encephalopathy, is the combined presence of Wernicke's encephalopathy and Korsakoff's syndrome. Due to the close relationship between these two disorders, patients suffering from both are usually diagnosed with WKS, as a single syndrome. It is a manifestation of thiamine (vitamin B1) deficiency, a spectrum of disorders which also encompasses beriberi, Wernicke's encephalopathy, and Korsakoff's psychosis. These disorders may manifest concurrently or separately. WKS is usually secondary to alcohol abuse. It mainly causes vision changes, ataxia and impaired memory.

Wernicke's encephalopathy and WKS is most commonly seen in alcoholic patients, and only 20% of cases are identified before death. This failure in diagnosis of WE and thus treatment of the disease leads to death in approximately 20% of cases, while 75% are left with permanent brain damage associated with WKS.

Questions and answers on "Korsakoff syndrome"

How long after cessation of alcohol, does it take for Gamma GT levels to return to normal? I have been having the following symptoms, fear,...

doctor1 MD


I understand that the symptoms are causing you distress.

But it is good that you have stopped the consumption of alcohol.

The symptoms fit into...

Read Full Thread   Ask a Doctor Now

where is the best treatment for wernicke korsakorf syndrome

doctor1 MD


Thanks for writing in.

Regarding Wernicke Korsakoff syndrome, Wernicke encephalopathy is a medical emergency. Prompt recognition and early...

Read Full Thread   Ask a Doctor Now

My brother has got Chronic Liver Disorder and has got jaundice too. He is on drugs to stop him taking alcohol, he smokes as well. His Bilirubin was...

doctor1 MD

Brief Answer:
he needs to stop drinking first

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

If there is a history of alcohol abuse, it is...

Read Full Thread   Ask a Doctor Now

Recent questions on  Korsakoff syndrome

doctor1 MD

He was under mental confusion . Which is getting better now. Not completely but he is calm and just enough clear thinking. Two problems I see are -...

doctor1 MD

I am very concerned for my 80 y/o mother, she is becoming very forgettable and irritable when she is misunderstood, don t get me wrong she still...

doctor1 MD

I drink alcohol in large amount twice a week and I also have penile vitiligo . While I take a B complex vitamin, I doubt it is strong enough in...

doctor1 MD

A friend of ours has alcohol related dementia. He is currently taking Seroquel but it doesn't seem to help with the dementia and anxiety. I should...

doctor1 MD

I am a 34 year old Female and I have.been experiencing chest discomfort right before and during my cycle for over a year, recently I have had it...

doctor1 MD

I am 31 yrs old, 6 1 , 245lbs, I had bloodwork done and the results that were above normal were the ALT - 79 and the GGTP 156. I have the following...

Ask Question
Doctor Image

Hi, I am Dr. Andrew Rynne (Family Physician). I will be guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Related Drugs/Medications