What is Erythroplasia?

Erythroplakia (or erythroplasia) is a clinical term to describe any erythematous (red) area on a mucous membrane, that cannot be attributed to any other pathology.

The term erythroplasia was coined by Louis Queyrat to describe a precancerous red lesion of the penis. This gave rise to the term erythoplasia of Queyrat. Depending upon the context, this term may refer specifically to carcinoma in situ of the glans penis or vulva appearing as a red patch, or may be used as a synonym of erythroplasia on other mucous membrane or transitional sites.

It mainly effects the glans penis (the head of the penis), and rarely, the mouth, or the anus.

Erythroplakia is analogous to the term leukoplakia which describes white patches. Together, these are the 2 traditionally accepted types of premalignant lesion in the mouth, When a lesion contains both red and white areas, the term "speckled leukoplakia" or "eyrthroleukoplakia" is used.

Although erythroplakia is much less common than leukoplakia,

Questions and answers on "Erythroplasia"

I have a red ridge on my penis shaft that was not there before. Had it for about three weeks now! Does not hurt and almost looks like a vein except...

doctor1 MD

Brief Answer:
venous engorgement

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.

Looking at the...

Read Full Thread   Ask a Doctor Now

Red patch on penis glans
Any feedback ?

doctor1 MD

Brief Answer:
Local inflammation of the skin on glans!

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the consultation at my virtual clinic HCM!
I have carefully...

Read Full Thread   Ask a Doctor Now

I've had a red mark/scratch at opening of my urethra ever since I passed a kidney stone 2 years ago
Wondering how to get rid of it. I uploaded a...

doctor1 MD

Brief Answer:
Need more information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your query. I have...

Read Full Thread   Ask a Doctor Now

Health resources related to Erythroplasia

Recent questions on Erythroplasia

Ask Question
Doctor Image

Hi, I am Dr. Andrew Rynne (Family Physician). I will be guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Related Drugs/Medications
Related Procedures
Related Medical Topics