Bladder infection

What is Bladder infection?

A urinary tract infection (UTI), also known as acute cystitis or bladder infection, is an infection that affects part of the urinary tract. --> Symptoms from a lower urinary tract include painful urination and either frequent urination or urge to urinate (or both); while the symptoms of pyelonephritis include fever and flank pain in addition to the symptoms of a lower UTI. In some cases, a painful burning sensation in the urethra may be present even when not urinating. In the elderly and the very young, symptoms may be vague or non-specific. The main causal agent of both types is Escherichia coli, though other bacteria, viruses or fungi may rarely be the cause.

Urinary tract infections occur more commonly in women than men, with half of women having at least one infection at some point in their lives. Recurrences are common. Risk factors include female anatomy, sexual intercourse and family history. Pyelonephritis, if it occurs, usually follows a bladder infection but may also result from a blood-borne infection. Diagnosis in young healthy women can be based on symptoms alone. In those with vague symptoms, diagnosis can be difficult because bacteria may be present without there being an infection. In complicated cases or if treatment has failed, a urine culture may be useful. In those with frequent infections, low dose antibiotics may be taken as a preventative measure.

In uncomplicated cases, urinary tract infections are easily treated with a short course of antibiotics, although resistance to many of the antibiotics used to treat this condition is increasing. In complicated cases, a longer course or intravenous antibiotics may be needed, and if symptoms have not improved in two or three days, further diagnostic testing is needed. In women, urinary tract infections are the most common form of bacterial infection with 10% developing urinary tract infections yearly. In those who have bacteria or white blood cells in their urine but have no symptoms, antibiotics are generally not needed, although pregnant women are an exception to this recommendation.

- Written by

Questions and answers on "Bladder infection"

Hi, i am a 15 year old female. I believe i have a bladder infection. I googled 'bladder infection' and all the symptoms match up with how i am feeling. There is burning when i urinate, i always have to go but nothing comes out, and occasionally there is blood when i urinate. All of the websites i have read claim that they develope after having sex. However, i am a virgin. Does this mean that i have a bladder infection if i havent had sex?
Unhygienic sex will lead to urinary bladder infection. sex is not the only reason for bladder infection. As responding your main query having sex will not protect you from urinary bladder infection.
Possible cause for infection; poor water intake,poor hygiene in maintaining the genitalia and...
Read Full Thread     Ask a Doctor Now »
I have a bladder infection affecting one of my kidneys for the pat month I was treated with two different anti biotics which does not seem to work totally I am just exploring on my own to determine if I have developed a resistant strain of bacteria I will be returning to see my doctor on Monday the 29th
U need to do urine culturss before jumping on any conclusions... N yes meet ur doctor to look for any complications arising due to further spread of infection.
Read Full Thread     Ask a Doctor Now »
hi had a bladder infection went to the er and was having light to heavy bleeding through the vaginal but took a pregnancy test through blood work it was negative , was prescribed cipro but im still bleeding light to moderate and its been 7 days , what can my next step be am I goin through the changes at 37 years old already
Hi, dear
I have gone through your question. I can understand your concern.
You may have some gynecological cause like fibroid uterus or dysfunctional uterine bleeding. You can take tranexemic acid to control bleeding. Bladder infection can not causes such heavy bleeding. Consult your gynecologist...
Read Full Thread     Ask a Doctor Now »
I have recenetly taken augmenton for bladder infection , I had to chew them up because i couldnt swallow them , for the last few days i have had a burning sensation in roof of my mouth and was red but has no sores , worse when i smoke or drink something acidy , i also wear dentures on top , it dosnt burn unless i smoke or drink something .

I have gone through your query and can understand your concerns..

As per your complain it seems that you are suffering from inflammation of the mucosa of the palate leading to Apthous Stomatitis and the cause can be irritation caused with the antibiotic while...
Read Full Thread     Ask a Doctor Now »
I don't think I have any bladder infection but I went to the dr today and wasn't having ny problem but later today I have been drinking plenty of water but am finding it painful to uriate and only some comes out and it hurts. I'm 62 yrs old and about 220 lbs. and went through menopause years ago, but I did have heavy bleeding and passed big clots about 6 yr. ago I did go to the er and they said it was just old blood.
painful urination indicates any obstruction in the pathway from bladder to external urethral orifice.
possibility of any stone obstruction,infection,urethral orifice constriction (sphincter problem),weakening and thinning of vagina and bladder wall because of menopause.

kindly consult a...
Read Full Thread     Ask a Doctor Now »
my stomach swells and i have pain after i urinate. i have had bladder infections before that feel the same but my doctor says i dont have one. however almost everyday this happens at least once. i have tried drinking more water and am aware of all the everyday changes i can make. i really just want to know what it could be
Hi, dear
I have gone through your question. I can understand your concern.
You may have bladder infection(urinary tract infection). You should go for urine routine and microscopic examination. If needed go for culture and sensitivity test. Then you should take antibiotics accordingly....
Read Full Thread     Ask a Doctor Now »
I have a sharp pain right under my left rib cage, when I stretch it out its its like sore, been like this for almost 2 months, went to the ER 3weeks ago for bladder infection, told doctor she just looked. At it and press dpwn on it that's about it, after everthing was done she never mention anything about my sore rib cage
thanks for your question
pain under the ribcage can be due to painful muscle or nerve pain or pain due to pleural effusion or pleuritis .
you can get a chest xray done and consult a pulmonologist or a general physcian to rule out all the causes .
for now you can take a pain killer like...
Read Full Thread     Ask a Doctor Now »
hi im 36 5'9 260lbs just had hytoretomy 3 weeks ago had been treated for bladder infection on microban for 10 days still have a fowel order ..wondered if i could or should take a canistin oral as i have a history of yeast /bladder ifection ?? what do ya think?
Hello dear , hi

Welcome to
I have evaluated your query thoroughly .

* There are various types of infection possible post hysterectomy .

* Can definitely take canistin for the same , but recommended to take
culture report of the discharge and get treated properly .

Hope this...
Read Full Thread     Ask a Doctor Now »
I obviously have a bladder infection - burning when I urinate. I noticed it a little earlier, but have not had a bladder infection for years so did not think much of it. It is now Friday evening so can not get into a Dr. until Monday. I am now burning when I urinate and my urine is bloody. what can I do until Monday?
Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have UTI.

Please get your routine urine test and urine culture done to find out the organisms causing this infection and antibiotics to which they are sensitive to.

Please take broad spectrum antibiotics like...
Read Full Thread     Ask a Doctor Now »
my boy friend has been losing weight , urinating often but not going alot, tired all the time, the doctor at the walk in clinic tonight told him he has blood in his urine, they checked his sugar and its ok so the nurse at the clinic mentioned bladder infection.... hes going to see a specialist but would like to know if it could be something besides cancer?
Hi and welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thank you for your query. I am Dr. Rommstein, I understand your concerns and I will try to help you as much as I can
This may be sign of kidneys issues such as urinary stones or kidneys insufficiency, however, urinary tract infection is most common cause of...
Read Full Thread     Ask a Doctor Now »
View more
A Doctor will be with you shortly