which number is more important when reading blood pressure?

which number is more important when reading blood pressure? Top or bottom.?
Sat, 27 Aug 2011
hi,thanks for query.The diastolic or in general terms the lower one is important,as it directly measure the pressure against which heart has to work.But for treatment point of view both reading needs to be under control and both are important.
wishing you good health.
paul's  Response
Systolic pressure is peak pressure in the arteries, which occurs near the end of the cardiac cycle when the ventricles are contracting. Diastolic pressure is minimum pressure in the arteries, which occurs near the beginning of the cardiac cycle when the ventricles are filled with blood. So both are important but which is most important will depend on which diseases are being considered in the diagnosis differential.