Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

what needs to be done to bring diabetes under control ?

Hi... my mother was diagonised with diabetes last week with 203 (fasting) / 306. Is it on higher side and what needs to be done to bring it under control ?
Asked On : Fri, 9 Jul 2010
Answers:  9 Views:  668
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
  Anonymous's Response
Thanks for your reply. But do let me know if it is on the higher side? andanything major to worry about? She has consulted with doctor and started off with her medication as well. Anything in particular that u would like to suggest to bring it under control?

Thanks once again...
Answered: Sat, 10 Jul 2010
  Anonymous's Response
Thanks. What is the range within which it should be maintained?
Answered: Sat, 10 Jul 2010
  Anonymous's Response
Thank you so much for your help and prompt response.
Answered: Mon, 12 Jul 2010
General & Family Physician Dr. K.S Sanju's  Response
Yes it is on higher side.Is she obese or have high blood pressure?.what is her age? Continue the medicines suggested by your doctor and along with that food monitoring is one of the treatments. The carbohydrate, fat and protein content of daily meals determine blood glucose levels. It's important to keep them in balance.And do regular half hour exercises daily this will increase the body sensitivity to insulin.
Answered: Mon, 12 Jul 2010
I find this answer helpful
  Anonymous's Response
Thanks. She is 53 , Weight - 62 and Height- 5ft 2 in. Does she need to reduce her weight?
Answered: Tue, 13 Jul 2010
  Anonymous's Response
She also has hyper tension (High Blood Pressure) since long time now.
Answered: Tue, 13 Jul 2010
General & Family Physician Dr. Gautam Das's  Response
Hi. These are high levels. To bring this under control you would need to visit a diabetologist who would work out a complete drug and diet plan for her after the proper investigations. There are certain other co-existing conditions that need to be ruled out and also she needs to understand the disease so that she is alerted by the symptoms.
Answered: Wed, 23 Feb 2011
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
Normally the diabetes patients should maintain the blood sugar level between

Also I suggest you to have a Breeze meter(to check the blood sugar level) at home, check the sugar level every week and if she/he is under insulin please increase or decrease the insulin level according the blood sugar.

Let me know in case of any issues.
Answered: Fri, 25 Feb 2011
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Mamta Joshi's  Response
Dear Saishivani

Your mother definitely has developed diabetes. To diagnose diabetes we need to test fasting and post meal readings as you have done.

Fasting sugar >126mg/dl and Postmeal sugar >200mg/dl is diagnosed as diabetes.

It is essential to understand that most patients in diabetes do not have symptoms and so always there is a delay in seeking treatment. Uncontrolled sugar levels gradually then start causing damage to your kidneys, heart , eyes and nerves (EVEN WHEN YOU DO NOT HAVE SYMPTOMS).

In your mothers case, we do not know since when she has been diabetic. So it is essential that along with treatment you get her tested to see if the above discussed organs are still unaffected. Preventing complications is very important for a healthy life.

Coming to treatment you would need to get a diet plan and an a regular exercise regimen. With changes in lifestyle we can bring down the sugars to some extent. Ofcourse she would need medicines, along with diet and exercise, weight control.

In diet cut off all sugar, sweets. avoid eating large meals and tell her to eat in small quantities every 4 hours.

A detailed dietary advise based on your regular type of food would be more helpful.

Hope this helps
Answered: Fri, 5 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor