Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
158 Doctors are Online

should i be worried about a blood pressure spike?

i have had high blood pressure for just under a year it was around 160 over 119 but i have been put on tablets for this and it has been down to around 155 over 95 on average for past few months from twice a day readings today i have been just relaxing at home nothing stressfull at all and my bp was 165 over 121 this morning and 179 over 115 tonight should i be worried my dad has heart disease and had heart attack at 25 i am now 24 thanks all.
Tue, 15 Dec 2009
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
  User's Response
Yes, you should be worried about you BP, you can go to a hypertensive emergency or urgency, where you SBP is greater than 180 and your DBP is greater than 120(you are really close to get there). symptoms of a hypertensive urgency are severe headaches, nosebleeds, shortness of breath, and severe anxiety. I wish you would have mentioned a little more about your lifestyle and medication regimen. You are a very young person to have these BP readings, you should take extra care of yourself since you have family heart disease background. Try to modify your lifestyle the best you can, stop smoking(if you do), exercise daily(unless contraindicated), avoid foods high in salt and fats, and always monitor your BP and follow your medical regimen. Hope everything works out.
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor