Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

144 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

pregnancy and heart disease

hi i am 27 years and suffering from nitral regurgitation since 8 years, i want to give birth to a child, i am on lot of medications since last 8 years. is it safe to become pregnant with this disease and drugs, what effect will it happen on my baby, what precauation should i take?
Fri, 16 Oct 2009
Report Abuse
  User's Response
's  Response
I do not know about this, but I am more concerned about the blood presssure increase during pregnancy that too after 5 months of pregnancy. My doctor has suggested me many precautions about this high blood pressure, SHe asked me to get check once in every month. many urine and blood tests. eye examinations were done. God is great and my blood pressure is under control
  User's Response
peter's  Response
first it is better to consult a doctor regarding this...and as such MR is not a contraindication for pregnancy....and dont have to abort fetus..and there will effect on fetus...thing is u will need little extra care...
  User's Response

Really sorry that you are suffering from Mitral Regurgitation. Why to worry !! you can give birth to a child , but delivery is to be conducted in good hospital with expert facilities. Go on medication as usual. Nothing to worry at all . Relax and live life in a fine way. God bless you

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

can sinus tachycardia cause heart dissease. im an only child im 36 and 4 months pregnant, i was diagnosed with it 4 years ago but had few attacks. since being pregnant it happens more often, at least once a week and more if i feel stressed. my father died of heart dissease, he was in his late fortys when he was diagnosed with angina, in his fiftys he had 3 heart attacks, at sixty he had a tripple heart bypass but passed away 2 years later.. his both parents died of heart dissease and so did his 1 sister and four brothers. ive seen a cardiologist recently but was told it was normall sinus tachycardia and the pregnancy has triggerd it off.. im nervous about the birth of my baby incase i have an attack of it during labour and it puts me or my baby in danger. what are the chances of my sinus tachycardia turning into heart dissease in a few years time.

doctor1 MD

Hi, I m 30 years old and 7 weeks pregnant. I ve had open-heart surgery (aortic valve replacemnt) twice. My first surgery was when I was 6 and the last one was 3 years ago...and I will have to have surgery again in 10 or so years. I am not on warfarin or any other medication other than prenatal vitamins. What risks as far as the health of my heart goes do I have to worry about?

doctor1 MD

Concerning rheumatic heart disease, with mild thickening of the valves and some calcifications, as well as a small heart murmer- can pregnancy cause the condition to progress more rapidly to a more advanced stage? And does exercise cause too much stress on the heart in someone with this condition (36 year-old female, had rheumatic fever at age 12, had an echocardiogram 18 months ago showing mild stage of rheumatic heart disease).