Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

permanent procedure to stop me getting pregnant

I'm 18 and want to have a permanent procedure to stop me getting pregnant... what option are there?
Hi, I'm 18 and after months of tests, I've just found out I will never be able to have children. I won't go into too much detail or scientific terms, but basically, I am able to get pregnant, but my pregnancies will all eventually end in a miscarriage, as my body is unable to go through full term pregnancy. What opinions do I have which will stop me from ever getting pregnant? Are there any risks/side affects/down sides? In terms of a vasectomy I've heard doctors will refuse a boy my age to have one, as they will think he is too young... would that apply to me? If I explained my situation and provided proof, would that change anything? I'm very safe, I'm on the pill and use condoms, but i don't want to go through life with the risk of getting pregnant, then have no other option apart from have an abortion or miscarriage. Thankyou in advance for answers. myourchi- I am female, I was just using the vasectomy thing as an example... if they will refuse something like that to a boy, would they still refuse something permanent for a girl, ect...
Asked On : Mon, 21 Dec 2009
Answers:  1 Views:  426
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
  User's Response
Actually in your case, its not the doctors that will be the problem ... it will be insurance. That is, they have a chart of when people are allowed to have this procedure and it may or may not be based on sound medical knowledge. I know of one case where a woman was desperate for a hysterectomy (due to an extremely painful condition in her womb) but couldn't have it until she was 40. If you can afford to pay for the operation yourself (or you have an enlightened insurance company), then most any doctor will recognizes your medical predicament and recommend a solution. There are a number of female "permanent" birth control methods. Having one's "tubes tied" (more formally known as "tubal ligation") comes to mind. Alas it is more involved than its male counterpart (vasectomy), but it is pretty commonplace and safe. You don't want to have a hysterectomy due to the hormonal implications (and cost and comfort). If you can get your tubes tied, that's what I would do, because in some cases it can be reversed should medical science figure out a way for you to be able to carry your would-be children to term. It will also be cheaper, more comfortable, etc. RANT: Do us all a favor - if your insurance company refuses, beat them up over it in court. Clearly making you use birth control for the rest of your life may be easier from THEIR point of view, but not from yours. This is the same sort of logic that has insurance companies paying for viagra and not birth control. Disclaimer: Neither tubal ligation nor hysterectomy is substitute for common sense regarding the prevention of sexually transmitted diseases. These procedures are effective at preventing pregnancy but have no effect on most STDs.
Answered: Mon, 21 Dec 2009
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor