Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

metoprolol for syncope

my girl friend has syncope and her mom says the doctor said take these pills which are called "metoprolol"...
Can you please tell me if her sickness is serious? if she takes metoprolol, which is a beta receptor blocker used to treat several diseases of the cardiovascular system, is it deadly? Will she get well by taking it? what are the chances of recovery and what are the chances of death?? Please dont give me any links. Im really worried.
Asked On : Thu, 17 Dec 2009
Answers:  1 Views:  794
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
  User's Response
your girlfriend will be fine, I have neurocardiogenic syncope and take metoprolol, midodrine and fludrocortisone. Syncope seems more serious than it actually is, the best thing you can do is be there for her because other peoples reactions to a fainter can be really hurtful, it's quite likely some smart ass will accuse her of attention seeking. It may well be that your girlfriend will get better with just taking the metropolol but she might need some other pills as well, all syncope sufferers are different. You should ask her to take you along with her to an appointment so you can listen to what the specialists have to say and you can also find lots of info on syncope on the internet (but that's not the best source some say syncope is deadly but it really isn't).
Answered: Thu, 17 Dec 2009
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor