is 217 a high cholesterol??

is 217 a high cholesterol?
Fri, 11 Dec 2009
's  Response
Anything about 210 is high.

I am 26 years old female with high cholesterol since 16 years of age due to heredity. I am very active but do not have the best (or the worst) diet. My total cholesterol went from 250 to 217 after taking Red Yeast Rice twice a day for the past year....however, now I have elevated liver enzymes (ALT 40 and AST 47) which were up from 16 and 18 last year. I have stopped taking the Red Yeast Rice and want to change to something else to help my cholesterol along with changing my diet. A friend suggested Mega Red. Will this be harmful to my already elevated liver enzymes?? Also, what are other good alternatives to lowering my cholesterol?? Thanks!!

I just had a lipid profile performed and it showed total chol of 239, triglycerides 95, HDL 76, LDL 133, with a ratio of T. Chol :HDL of 3.1. My VAP showed I am in a good profile regarding LDL (Fluffy kind). I exercise regularly at least 45 min a day at least 5 days a week. I am age 69. I am 5 ft 1 inch and weigh 103. A few months ago, I was on a cruise, was less attentive to diet, and my T chol was 248. When retested 3 months later, my T cholesterol was 217. In general, I eat healthy low fat foods--never any fried foods. Very occasionally I have a couple of slices of pizza. I had pizza about 1 week before this last test. Do you think I need to go on statins?

Hallo doctor,Even though i dont eat a lot non veg and drinks, my cholesterol is high (288), LDL 217 and HDL 32. I got it checked today in Berlin, Doctor has recommended for Simvastatin -1A 20 mg for 3 months.I am 30 years old and my father too have the same problem, i have the same from 3 years and comes back when i leave eating medicine, what shall i do or do i eat medicine always.best regards Neeraj

Recent questions on  Cholesterol

i am 77 suffering hair fall for the last three months now the front part is visibly thin. have been taking aten h and stovastin to keep bp and cholesterol under control. using hair garnier hair dye for two years.

singhajit singh

YYYY@YYYY

0000

Hi, I think I have heartburn but not sure-I am a 43y/o female, no history of heart problems, healthy cholesterol level, non smoker, I exercise and eat healthy. I have pain where my arms attach to my body, feel slightly nauseous, feel like I need to burp-my breathing is fine. Maybe just indigestion?-had a spicy-somewhat rich supper.

I am 65 yrs. of age and both my cholesterol and triglycerides are elevated. Total cholesterol is 257. Triglycerides are 158. HDL cholesterol is 55. The dr. threw a sample of Crestor to me and gave me a prescription as well. I threw the Crestor in the trash. Started taking Cholestoff *Complete* which is for both dietary and genetic high cholesterol (made from plants) and am suppose to take two twice daily before meals. Also am eating 3/4 cup of Quaker Oat Meal w/ cinnamon sprinkled heavily over it each day and am on a low fat diet. Have been told that niacin also helps bring down cholesterol and am wondering if you would recommend taking it. I also take fish oil daily. Am interested in natural products for lowering it. Haven t been exercising appropriately and need to do that. Both of my parents had normal cholesterol levels but my grandmother passed due to a stroke. What is your recommendation and am I on the correct path? I am totally against statins due to their many side effects. I take medication for thyroid which is Synthroid and have no other major medical problems. Thank you very much

Hello. I am a 49 year old female with good cholesterol levels and I am not overweight. I ve had some high blood pressure on and off - controlled with vitamins. Have not taken it in a while. Over the weekend it came up 159/110 several times with other readings in the 140 s/90s. Do I need to get meds as in tonight or can it wait until a doctor visit next week? Thanks.

Patient: Female, 73 years, 6 months old, 5'7" tall, 230 lbs., in generally good health. Hypertension well controlled with medication, lifelong history of recurring clinical depression . Currently takes medication for depression and hypertension,...

Hi, Can you please check my blood, ecg and usg reports and let me know on which areas should I take care? Also, any suggestions on any specific diet to control the problem areas and medications if any?

My Mother has gone through the medical health check-up.I need your input over the attached reports.