how serious are blood clots in your legs?

k my mom came home and said my dad was in the hospital because he had bloodclots and he couldnt walk, she said he had surgery for it 10 years ago and they told him he would have to have it again but he had been putting it off and they sent him to the emergency room today because he coodnt walk, shes trying to act like it isnt a big deal, but she did the same thing when she first found out she had cancer because she didnt want to scare us, how serious is this and what could happen? flat out truth
Mon, 14 Dec 2009
's  Response
Deep venous thrombosis (DVT) is clotting of blood in a deep vein of an extremity (usually calf or thigh) or the pelvis. DVT is the primary cause of pulmonary embolism. DVT results from conditions that impair venous return, lead to endothelial injury or dysfunction, or cause hypercoagulability. DVT may be asymptomatic or cause pain and swelling in an extremity. Diagnosis is by history, physical examination, and duplex ultrasonography, with D-dimer or other testing as necessary. Treatment is with anticoagulants. Prognosis is generally good with prompt, adequate treatment; common long-term complications include venous insufficiency with or without postphlebitic syndrome.