hole in my heart,need information, please suggest me

I m a 27 year old male and just been told by my hospital that i have a hole in my heart after an E.C.G test and 2 surgeons using a stephoscope,got to have an umbrella thing to fill the hole in,under local anestetic,anyone had this? do you feel better? or do you know about it?
Mon, 14 Dec 2009
First I would ask for an echocardiogram with & without saline (water bubbles); this will show any & hopefully all holes in your heart. I had it done & they found I was missing a chamber and had holes on the opposite side of my heart which required them to "cath" my heart. They make a small slice in the groin area & go through a main artery in your leg up to your heart. I'm only 5' & 100 lbs & they couldn't knock me out with morphine (I watched the entire procedure & ticked off my cardiologist -lol). My personal opinion would be 1. ask questions, make a list if you have to, 2. check out the surgeons & their history, & 3. if they are as good as they check out to be the procedure will be a cakewalk for you. I was 38 when they found all of this & now I'm 43 and alive to see my baby (23) get married this coming August to a wonderful young lady. My Dad had 2 triple arterial bypasses & he lost a leg in Korea and God bless him, he'll be 79 this July. Yes, I had a good role model but it is normal to get upset when a Dr mentions a prob w/the heart & that you have to face surgery. I now know how a lobster feels having its chest cracked but thorasic & cardiac surgery is so advanced that I can promise you that you'll be fine. Try to keep a positive attitude and have faith; they told me after 3 days that if I could walk up & down a flight of stairs 4 times, I could go home..........I bolted & got my boney butt outta that hospital & back into my own home in no time. My thoughts & prayers are with you (Navy brat here) but above all : keep the faith. Beth