dizziness and slow heart rate

why is the pulmonary artery really a vein and the pulmonary vein really an artery?
Wed, 14 Sep 2011
Medical Topics ,  
's  Response
I know what you're talking about. The pulmonary vein and arteries are the only ones that buck the egenral "rule" about arteries carrying blood away from the heart and viens to the heart. A more accurate description would be that arteries carry oxygenated blood and veins carry deoxygenated blood. Then you have the arteries and veins doing what they should do :D
General & Family Physician Dr. Akshith's  Response
thanks for the query
well arteries and veins are named so based on the direction of blood flow in them those which bring blood into the heart are called veins hence even though pulmonary veins carry oxygenated blood they're called veins and vice versa for pulmonary artery