details of hypertension

if the blood pressure is 140 over 70, is it hypertension? if not, then what is the problem? its my grandmother... shes 86 years old...
Tue, 15 Dec 2009
's  Response
Random, There are alot of factors in determining if your B/P is high. what is your normal resting blood pressure? If it is something like 110/60 then yes your pressure is up a bit. A "text" book blood pressure is 120-130 over 70-80. I think your pressure is fine. I have never seen an MD start a B?P medicine on anyone with a 140/70 B/P. Find out your family history, if there is a history of high blood pressure then you may have something to worry about in the future. Also what is your age/ To little information to give you a really accurate answer.