Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

confused with cardiologists

I have seen my primary doc, about palpitations, and he had an EKG done, which of course was normal + prescribed medication...which initially helped, but no more. I'm in my early 30's, I have seen THREE Cardiologists, the first two dismissed the palpitations as anxiety. The third had another EKG, which was normal, plus a 24 hr holter monitor, in which I had no symptoms that day. Then, finally I had in an ECG done, and the Cardiolgist, mentioned that I had a small leak in one of my heart valves, but called it "normal". Well, additional symptoms I've had included chest pain, and pain down my left arm...I've had arrhythmias as well. I have told each Cardiologist about my symptoms, as well as family history of heart problems (mostly my mom), they shrug their shoulders, and say well it's "normal", you've got nothing to worry about. Each one has mentioned that I'm too young for anything serious. Are leaking heart valves really normal, and who else is in the same boat?
Asked On : Sat, 19 Dec 2009
Answers:  2 Views:  362
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
  User's Response
I was diagnosed in 2002 with Idiopathic Hypertrophic Subaortic Stenosis (IHSS), That is the term that was given this disease when it was discovered in the 1950's. Now it is more commonly referred to as Hypertrophic Obstructive CardioMyopathy (HOCM). When you mention "family history" that is the leading indicator for this disease. If anyone, particularly males, in your fmaily has a history of "sudden death" then you may definitely want to get checked. For this disease there is no known cure. They would most likely recommend an implantable cardioverter defibrillator and possibly an alcohol ablation if you do in fact have this disease. Just food for thought. Hope this helps.
Answered: Sat, 16 Apr 2011
  User's Response
I am not a cardiologist but I agree that you should get a FOURTH opinion. I was miserable with symptoms all summer until I went to two cardiologists. The second cardiologist did more tests than the first cardiologist I saw and diagnosed me with a first degree level AV heart block. I too have a history of heart disease in my family. Find a cardiologist who will take your concerns seriously. My father had to see seven general practioners before his cancer was diagnosed. The healthcare system isn't as safe as we'd like it to be, and there is a lot more pressure on the patient to find the right doctor. Good luck and don't let any cardiologist talk you out of taking care of your heart health.
Answered: Sun, 20 Dec 2009
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor