barretts syndroms

How deadly can Barretts be over all ?
Sat, 10 Sep 2011
Welcome to HCM.Barrett's syndrome is a condition in which the esophagus, forms new types of cells on its surface that are similar to those normally found in the intestine.The exact cause or causes of Barrett's syndrome are unknown.While Barrett's syndrome may cause no symptoms itself, some people with this condition develop a rare, but often deadly, type of esophageal cancer called esophageal adenocarcinoma.
The treatment includes medicine that decreases acid production in the stomach and gives the esophagus a chance to heal. This is sometimes associated with improvement in the extent of the Barrett's tissue. The process of change from Barrett's to esophageal cancer seems to happen in only a few patients, less than 1 percent (0.4% to 0.5%) per year, and over a relatively long period of time.
Hope i answered your query.