a person about to suffer a heart attack feels pain in which arm?

Thu, 17 Dec 2009
's  Response
The pain generally radiates to the left shoulder and left arm but can be felt in both arms, back, neck and jaw. With silent MIs, you may not notice any pain at all. You may also have chest pain but not experience pain in your arm. Generally speaking, the rule of the thumb is any chest pain which persists for longer than 15-30 minutes, should be evaluated. Pain in the left arm is known as 'referred pain'. Referred pain means a pain which is experienced in one area of the body but actually originates from another area of the body. This happens when the neuron messenger system confuses while sending a message of pain to the brain- almost like a lost nerve signal. When blood/ oxygen supply is cut off to part of the heart muscle, the bodies response to this is pain.