Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

135 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Young adult with bad joint pains

I have had a number of on going joint problems, in my feet (diagnosed as bunions), knees, hips (I think the diagnosis was spondylolisthesis), shoulder (bursitis due to slight scoliosis, but now it has started in the other shoulder so I'm not sure about this), and wrist (normal MRI and X-ray, so not diagnosed yet). As you can see from the diagnoses, I have seen orthopedists about these problems, but no invasive treatments were recommended and they have persisted for years. I have been told that I do not have arthritis and that they are unrelated. But two nights ago, I had some kind of flare-up of all my joint problems at once. I was in so much pain that I couldn't dress myself on Friday morning. It is now Saturday night, and while Advil is helping a little, the pain has not gone away. Gentle movement (walking) seems to help. I have no fever and no swelling or other symptoms that I can tell, but needless to say I am worried. I am 23 years old and as far as I know in good general health. Could this be arthritis? Lyme disease? Or just crummy joints that all got inflamed by some trigger I'm not aware of? I will see a doctor ASAP but I'm worried for now.
Thu, 23 Jun 2011
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Lab Tests ,  
  User's Response

Don't worry. There are remedies for your symptoms. You seem to have spondyloarthritis and at a very young age. This is an inflammatory disorder affecting all joints and muscle insertions. Kindly consult a "Rheumatologist", or an Orthopaedician practising Rheuamatology at the earliest.

Chronic pain can cause depression. And Arthritis causes continuous joint damage leading to painful deformed joints and generalized disability.

You need to be on aggressive therapy as soon as possible. Please visit a good Rheumat center. The ones I know of are SG-PGI- Chandigarh or CMC, Vellore.

I find this answer helpful
  Anonymous's Response
Anonymous's  Response

It could be arthitis, called as juvenile arthritis, or a non rheumatoid arthritis. The best person to advise would be an orthopedist. Take  all your reports and get a second opinion done.

  User's Response
Dr. Ritu's  Response
Dear Liz,

Thanks for reaching to health care magic. I would like to recommend you Rhus tox 200, three times a day. It is a homeopathic remedy and is absolutely safe. Take it for a month.

Dr. Ritu Sandhu
Homeopathic Medical Consultant and Physician
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I’m a young adult and have anxiety but haven’t gone to the doctors about it and noticed I have a horrible habit of cracking my joints every 10 to 15 mins through out my entire day and realized my joints hurt when weather is too cold, and suggestions?

doctor1 MD

I am 41 years old. I have problems with my joints since i was a teenager. The last episode was 10 years ago. I have been having joint pains since last week my knees. it is now in one ankle and elbow I I just got zerodol for the pain. I am would like some info about the side effects. I also need some information on Rheumatic Fever , and if the adult symptoms are different from the childhood symptoms

doctor1 MD

My wife aged 40 is suffering from joint pain. Her thumb of right hand is badly affected and it is curved in side from centre. She has gone for orthopadics but of no gain. Now doctors have suggested her to meet a rheumatologist. Her blood reports, sugar tests, RA factor and x-rays are normal. She is suffering from this from last 3 years.

Recent questions on  Arthritis

doctor1 MD

My 62 year old mother had a heart attack requiring by-pass surgery and valve replacement. She was in good physical shape except for r. arthritis and hypothyroidism for which she was on meds for. She did not make it out of surgery. Any reasons her arthritis/hypothyroidism had anything to do with it?

doctor1 MD

my mom 84 has both arthritis's..through out her the last year she has developed sinus and black green matter ......her sinus cavity wall has deteriated.....doctors are not sure what it the cause...could it be has had it in here lungs and extremities.....any answers?

doctor1 MD

I have aches and pains all over, but no temperature. It feels like a viral thing. Pains in the soft tissue in my nose as well as pains and aches in my larger muscle groups, also hurts to pass urine .... I have a little arthritis and the joints that are particularly vulnerable are sore and tender. Like my soft tissues are all inflamed. Flu??

doctor1 MD

Please direct this question to an ortopedic surgeon and/or an alternative medicine specialist. i m a 57 y.o. male, outta shape and overweight with two dislocated shoulders - one worse than the other (supposedly 3rd degree seperation/subluxation) but both give me chronic pain. the worst one has the classic hump where the bone has popped up out of the joint it s the worst but, the other one gives me quite a bit of pain too. all i have for pain is ibuproffen(handfulls) acetaminofen, and alcohol. My Dr. had breifly prescribed Gabbapentin which like Tylenol wasn t much help, essentially negligible. Some years back i had convinced a VA surgeon to do the standard operation but, upon researching it, i learned that only 50% of the time was it effective and of those, 50% developed arthritis in the shoulder. I need some real options/alternatives Doc. Been living with chronic pain for 15 years - not to mention the lack of funtionality. Any suggestions?

doctor1 MD

why would hypermedia show up in bone scan- it was for a shoulder doctor but hyperaemia showed up in the plevis- the ortho doctor did not comment because he was looking for shoulder so what does hypermedia mean in a bone scan -

doctor1 MD

Hi I have been having extremely sore joints, My left hand is in constant pain, my right arm hurts when I try to lifts it up. My knees are extremely paintful even when I'm resting trying to sit down and get up is extremely painful. This morning my...

doctor1 MD

i have numbness in the balls of my feet and pain and discomfort. the pain gets really bad when i elevate my feet when i go to bed at night. this has been going on for two years plus. I have been to several pediatrist and neurologist and no one can...