X-ray shows bony mass on femoral head, painful, hot sweats, flushes. Cancer possible?

Hi I ve had a problem with my hip for over ten years. Today I ve had the results of an x ray and they say I ve a bony mass on my femoral head at the front in my groin . I ve been referred to an orthopaedic consultant in two weeks. The pain has increased dramatically over the last four weeks. I ve been experiencing hot sweats and flus es five times an hour worse at night. This could be my age I, Im 47. I ve had a sickly sweet body O Rourke for about three years.. I ve had no weight loss , good appetite . I walk alot. Im really worried it may be cancer .. I know I should wait but can you tell me if its a possibility? I ve taken large dose of steroids over my life as I am asthmatic with moderately severe bronchiectasis .. Kind regards Tracy
Tue, 30 Oct 2012
Pulmonologist 's  Response
Hi
Thanks for your query
As you had taken lots of high doses of steroids then the possibilities of that mass may be -
1. avascular necrosis
2. tubercular mass and
3. of course the bone tumors
You need to have a MRI of that region and guided FNAC from that mass if possible to conclusively prove its histopathological diagnosis.
Thank you.
Allergist and Immunologist Dr. Sujoy Khan's  Response
Dear Tracy,
To recapitulate you have asthma with moderately severe bronchiectasis and now hip pain.
As you have been on steroids all your life, a DEXA scan (bone mineral density) is a must to know the mineral score and exclude osteoporosis.
Bisphosphonate therapy, Vit D3 are all options to treat low bone mineral density and prevent fractures.
It is important that your Orthpopeadic Surgeon knows all these details and consider a referral to Rheumatology if there is currently no surgical indication.
Hot sweats and flushes secondary to the pain is a possibility but yes, all options should be considered but with the absence of weight loss, no GI changes and good appetite, is on the positive side.
Thanks.