Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

Would this be considered a stroke or a heart attack ?

At times my chest would feel like its contracting and it gets hard to breathe. The pain is pretty intense, almost to the point of blacking out. It really feels like someone has stuck their hand inside my chest and started squeezing my heart . Is this a stroke or heart attack? If so, then would this affect any other vital organs, such as my brain or my neurological responses?
Asked On : Sat, 19 Dec 2009
Answers:  1 Views:  275
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
  User's Response
These are signs of an impending heart attack. The classic signs include gripping pain or pressure in the chest, shortness of breath, and pain in the left arm. These are not signs of a stroke. The classic signs of a stroke are numbness, difficulty speaking, dizziness or blurred vision, imbalance or falling down, and severe headaches. Heart attacks can affect other organs because the heart is responsible for pumping oxygen-rich blood to all other organs. In the worst case, if you have a massive heart attack and your heart stops, none of your organs would receive oxygen. Your brain could be damaged by the lack of oxygen. In fact, a stroke occurs when the brain is deprived of oxygen. So, you should treat your symptoms as a medical emergency. You are lucky that you have the time to act to protect your health.
Answered: Sun, 20 Dec 2009
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor