Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Worried about getting tooth extracted because there is a hole in the gum. Advice?

hello. for over a year i have had a hole in my bottom gum under my tooth and its exposing some of the tooth. it doesnt hurt. and i want to go to the dentist in beggining of sept when i get back from michigan. but my best friend scared me and told me the tooth might need to be pulled.there is like a piece of gum that can be which will make hole not be cut so the whole won t be there anymore. when i went to the dentist last year they said to go to a gum specialist and they will do that. but then my tooth will be exposed. i cant discribe it. so i am going to send a picture. just was wondering what the dentist will do and if i will have to lose my tooth. im 25 and don t want to not have a tooth! thanks so much!
Asked On : Thu, 16 Aug 2012
Answers:  4 Views:  133
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Welcome to the forum.
the hole may be a draining sinus near the root of a tooth. Please go for an X ray of the area to find out if there is an infected tooth in relation to the hole. Please go to a dentist with the x ray and go for a complete oral examination and treatment if required.
I hope this is helpful to you.
You can consult me again directly through my profile

Answered: Wed, 6 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Khushboo Bhatia's  Response
Hole in the gum is due to infection of the gums or due to infected tooth causing a gum boil which after draingae looks like hole in the gum.This gum hole can be because of poor oral hygiene and deposits causing the infection in the gums. You have to visit a dentist and find out the diagnosis and in the meanwhile try to maintain good oral hygiene by brushing twice a day and doing warm saline rinses.
Answered: Tue, 5 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda's  Response
hello and welcome to HCM forum neb,
It seems you are quite worried about getting the treatment done, but i would like to inform you that you need not worry, your dentist(periodontist) will take care of your tooth, as you mentioned that your tooth is exposed as the gums have receded a little , your dentist will not extract your tooth, he/she will perform a minor gum surgery so as to bring back the gum at a normal level.
i will summarize the dental procedure quickly so that you are no more apprehensive about it;
1. local anesthesia,
2. small incision over the gum(painless),
3. elevate the gum a little and then pull it back to cover the exposed tooth,
4. suturing the gum over the new position,
5. dentist will prescribe you an antibiotic medication,
6. you can go back to work,
7. follow up after a week.
i hope now you are clear about the procedure a little bit, just be calm.
i wish you good health,
take care.
Answered: Thu, 16 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Deepthi Reddy's  Response
Thank you for the query.
According to the history given it suggests you have gingival recession,Which has developed either due to improper brushing technique leading to trauma or gingival abscess or infection due to deposits or boneloss leading to recession .
This can be treated and you donot need to get your teeth extracted . I would advice you to get an x-ray done and see a periodontist to rule out the exact cause for the recession and treat accordingly .
Hope this information helps you.
Answered: Tue, 5 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor