• question-icon

Will umbilical cord blood help in the treatment of autoimmune hepatitis ?

if someone has autoimmune hepatitus. Can Umbilical Cord Blood help in the treatment of this?
Tue, 10 Jan 2012
's  Response
autoimmune diseases are those which cause due to failure of normal immunoregulating system.there no specific treatment.blood of umbilical cord contain a stem cells which is helpful in regenration of liver cells so it is helpful.because stem cells are a basic cells from which regeneration of cell possible............
General & Family Physician Dr. Jitender Chauhan's  Response
Hello, welcome to HCM. Autoimmune hepatitis occurs when body's own immunity begins to attack liver cells and destroy them. It is treated with the help of steroids which lower the body's immune response. But they can not help liver regenerate if the damage is intense. Even though liver has large potential for re growth stem cells can be used for regenerating liver cells in case the disease has progressed to irreparable levels. But the stem cell therapy will n ot prevent the immune response from acting against new cells. Wish you good health.
Genetics Specialist Dr. Kuldeep Singh's  Response
Dear,
Umbilical cord blood is used as a source of stem cells which can be induced to regenerate hepatocytes. Any person requiring Liver transplantation will benefit from Stem cells. Liver transplantation in autoimmune hepatitis is considered in patients with hepatic failure unresponsive to corticosteroid/immunosuppressive treatment, decompensated cirrhosis with an End-Stage Liver Disease. Advantage of Umbilical cord stem cells is that it is easily available and success has been seen even with partial HLA match. However, in autoimmune hepatitis chances of recurrences are there even with stem cell therapy.

Dr. Ram Mani Bhandari's  Response
Dear
Autoimmune hepatitus is a condition of inflamation of liver cell do you body auto immune system weak. it may be due to toxin, drugs and more common in women.
The drugs therapy is choice for treatment. If it also fails liver transplant is only choice for this. But there is not evidence that umbilical cord blood.
thanks
http://ayurvediccure.info