Owl Image

Will low potassium cause symptoms of a heart attack?

Symptoms started with uneasy feeling, then tingling from knees up, then trememdous pressure in chest (didn t hurt-but just extreme pressure)....then my arms, hands, and face drew up....which made it hard for me to talk......(just before this happened I had had a starbucks coffee).....could the caffine have had something to do with this also?) Emegency room did EKG x-rayed my lungs checking for blood clots did blood test........then only thing that come back was that my potassium was extremely low.....(also I have been on a diet for approx. 2 weeks which also may have had something to do with this.......has anyone ever experienced this?
Tue, 15 Dec 2009
Yes mam,potassium can cause a heart attack.When u on a diet u have to eat things that u really need. Potassium,iron,calcium,etc.The answer to your question yes it could. When I was on this blood pressure med about 3 years ago. I went to the E.R. Cuz my heart was racing they check my potassium it was at 3.0. Ever since I get it check all the time,the doctors think I'm crazy. Now its 4.5. But one more thing make sure it doesn't gets to high because hig potassium can cause a heart attack as well. Just eat bananas like 2 a day Potassium levels shoundn't drop below 3.5 and shouldn't go above 5.1