Will chances of heart disease decrease if I donate blood?

Sat, 12 Dec 2009
's  Response
no.

Hi, my fiance is getting ready to have an angio gram. With his past history of one mild stroke, blood thinners, ongoing chest pains and numerous test, finally he has been advised for the above immediately! What are his chances? He also has slight high blood pressure and thyroid issues. Was recently told his gallbladder had to be removed, but the 2nd opinion ruled it out, sending him to his cardiologist. He maintains good weight for his height (6 1 ) at around 185lbs. Caucasian.

Hi, My mother had a heart attack on 30.09.2010 and she recovered it by completing 10 clexane injections after each 12 hrs with other medicines as prescribed by doctors during staying at Hospital. She has been now released. The doctor advised us to do Angiogram very shortly to know how many blockages are there. My mother troponin I level was found 180 by blood test which indicates must blockage. In the above scenerioe can you suggest what will we do now as we know during ring implementation, it has a chance to miss my mother whose age is now 57 years. Is there any alternative treatment without surgery?

I received 5 stents in my heart 12 years ago - 3 in the LAD, 1 in the diagonal, and 1 in the ramus. After the stents were placed in 1999, I quit smoking (cigars) and quit eating beef and pork. I walk at least 4 to 5 times a week usually 1 to 3 miles a walk. I never had a heart attack and feel truly blessed to have avoided by-pass surgery. I have been a diabetic (type II) for 30 years (strong history of early on-set in my family) and have worked hard at controlling it the last 12 years (my last A1c was 5.9). My problem is I m 59 years old now and the stress/anxiety at work are making it hard to control my blood pressure and I have very little stamina (the diabetes is taking a toll). I m also not as mentally sharp as I was 5 years ago and my hands tingle and have numbness from neuropathy. I would like to work 4 1/2 more years (March of 2016) but I m concerned about being able to do so as I know I m declining at an elevated pace. If I have to stop working before my projected retirement date what are the chances of these conditions qualifying for disability?

Recent questions on  Blood donation

I have been having ringing in my ears for about a month now. I tried ear drops to remove possible wax build-up with no help. Today I tried to donate blood but I wasn't allowed due to a high pulse rate. My blood pressure was normal. I have never been told I had a high pulse rate. I am a 58 yr old male in pretty good health

Hi there, I had a CBC done at the emergency room about six months ago for stomach pain which they concluded was a possible ulcer or IBS . Since then the pain has went away for the most part. I had to request my medical records for insurance...

i was told that I have "thick" blood. I drink a lot of water each day. What could this be and how do I remedy it.

I gave blood on Tuesday and ended up in the ER Wednesday evening with kidney stones. I have been passing pepper sized stones since then. I have been very well hydrated since the ER visit. Could the blood donation have upset my hydration level that significantly?

60 yr old male. Gave blood yesterday. Today while working on computer I got really dizzy for about 90 sec. M face got hot and sweaty.

My buddy is about to go to meps for the navy and I would like to know what kind of blood testing they do? I know he has used steroids before and he is worried that this will be an issue? will it and how long do steroids stay in an users system and do they raise blood pressure? also when giving blood tests do blood tests usually detect steroids? ive heard that steroid testing is an pretty expensive sports test

Age 60; height is 5' 6"; weight is 130. I have had low BP all my life (even after brain surgery because of 2 anyersums (sp) April, 2007)... BP at it's highest has been 132/70; however yesterday it jumped to 151/86 with a pulse of 76 (I was about to donate blood). The only medication I'm taking is Depakote ER 250mg because of one seizure Jan 2008. Concern or just monitor?