Will an angiogram surgery lead to death ?

will an angiogram surgery lead to death ?
Fri, 18 Dec 2009
's  Response
There is very little risk involved mortality rate is about 1to 2 %, due to other technical procedures. Best if luck.

My 79 year old grandmother went to the hospital with pneomonia and was dead within a week. First she was given an antibiotic for the pnemonia which thickened her blood. She was then given coumadin and lovenox to thin her blood. When it got way too thin and they discovered blood pooling in her abdomen, they gave her vitamin k...but it was too late I guess. She stopped breathing and her heart stopped. She was ressusitated and keep on life support for almost 2 days before she passed. (Her ressusitation took between 20-25 minutes, so she was presummed to be brain dead). Is all of this sound normal or was a MAJOR mistake made at the hospital? She had quadruple bipass surgery years ago and had an artifical heart valve. Lovenox would have been stopped as soon as the coumadin reached theraputic dosages. Also neither the pneumonia nor the antibiotics caused her blood the thicken. Most pneumonia in older people are caused by the heart. Thanks everyone! Guess I should clarify some things. She was already on Coumadin before and during the Lovenox injections. The doctors said the anitbiotics/antigens (?), whatever they gave her for the pnemonia was what caused her blood to get so think. She had viral pnemonia...if that makes any difference. Also, she was not able to go to surgery for the blood pooling until her blood was thicker. That s why they were giving her the vitamin k to correct the way too thin blood. Thanks again everyone for your responses! Re: if I had a patient with an elevated INR who was bleeding, in addition to vitamin K I would also give blood and FFP, the fact that they gave only vitamin K suggests that there was no active bleeding (that they found or suspected) going on at the time. I forgot to mention that she was recieving blood transfusions as well as the vitamin k. I m not sure what FFP is, so I don t know if she got that or not. Her INR went from normal to 14 I think from the late night check to the early morning check. As far as doing an ultrasound/CT, they told us she was not stable enough to move from the critical care unit to do those tests or to do surgery. (She had not actually had any surgery during this visit...but she did have catarac surgery a week or two before all of this.) * Correction* My mom says my grandmother s INR was at 44 (not 14).

My father is due to have a second angiogram but he has a psychological/nervous problem in that he cannot pee in front of anyone into an urinal and having a catheter inserted into his penis was very very painful the first time he had an angiogram. Is there an alternative method, for example placing a condom like rubber (with a tube at end leading to a bag) over his penis.?

Has anyone out there had an angiogram I am soon and worried!? Has anyone out there had an angiogram I am soon and worried!?

Recent questions on  Heart attack

Hello Doc, I ve been having a weird discomfort in my left part of my breast and a pinched feeling in my upper left shoulder blade!! I m a 26yr old healthy female and I sit up and google symptoms I have and start freaking myself out thinking I m having a heart attack! Please help!!

My grandpa had a heart attack yesterday. He has been unconcious since then last night they but a central line through him to cool him down to 94 degrees. It took the ambulence 15 minutes to get to him from the time he started having issues breathing and ever 30 seconds he would gasp for air. do you think he is going to have severe brain damage

dear Sir, My name is kashif latif and at this time i am 30 years sir my problem is for the month ago i have tingling and numbness in my both hand and at the same time i have feeling my heart is racing like 150 miles and hold body covers with shivirng and i am loosing control and going crazy and feeling that i am having a heart attack but when i visit the doc and he done ECG he foung nothing to done my heart and my heart is working normally and one more thing at that time i am feeling shorness of breath and my all body chill sir please tell what is this and i am fear of this this will hapen again to me i am awaiting your answer Kashif latif

i was in a car accident like 2 months ago, broke a few bones, had surgery(hip and femur)a month later i began feeling left chest pains, left arm pains...typical heart attack symptoms in other words. last night was the 5th time i went to the e.r. thanks to this pains and again they found nothing wrong with me or my heart so i guess the ekg and mri were all good. the pain is still there on a daily basis my parents refuse to take me to the hospital they think i m insane. my questions are can my heart be bruised or enlarged?or that would have been ruled out with the ekg and mri?they said its not my lungs but the pain is on left back also, could it be only muscle pain?i don t have insurance and all this medical assistance is pretty expensive. if anyone could please get me on the right direction i would greatly appreciate it, this pain is so stressing it feels like a tickle on my lung or heart and i m scared if overlooked it will kill me. by the way i m a 19 yr old grl and nobody in my family has any kind of medical problems....

A cat scan for the lungs revealed atherosclerosis of the great vessels , aorta and coronary arteries. Aorta and pulmonary arteries are normal in caliber. Heart and and pericardium are within normal limits. There are no significant mediastinal or...

My father is 91 and his systolic is 228. Don't know the other number. Should I worry?

Hello Doctor, I have had some wisdom tooth pain and went to doctor, he advised me to use hydrogen preoxide one week and lets try the infection go. He took xray of wisdom tooth and said all other looks good. He further said as I have never been to...