Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
166 Doctors are Online

Will a medical check up reveal Typhoid infection ?

Am working in Dubai and will be having a medical test soon. MOH Dubai is checking following lab test: 1) Prevalence of malaria: by Giemsa stained thick blood films 2) Hepatitis B is diagnosed by detecting the surface antigen ( HbsAg ) and hepatitis C by detecting antibodies to HCV (HCVAb) using ommercial enzyme immunoassay (EIA) kits from ABBOTT company, Germany. The presence of HBsAg was confirmed by a seroneutralization test of the same company. For HCVAb screening, all specimens with absorbance value equal to or greater than the cut-off value were rechecked and considere das reactive only if both ELISA results were positive.Reactive sera were confirmed by Liatek from rganon. Antibodies to HIV were also tested in Virology Laboratory using commercial enzyme mmunoassay (ELISA) kits of ABBOTT, 3rd genration. All positive samples are confirmed by estern blot analysis from Bio-Rad test. My question, i was infected with Typhoid last 4 months back and was treated IV antiboitics and have no symptoms since then, I have done Widal test last week still it is showing Salmonella Typhi H: Dilution 1:160 while all others are negative. I want to know by doing the MOH test, the result shall show I had typhoid. Appreciate your response.
Asked On : Wed, 29 Jun 2011
Answers:  1 Views:  138
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Lab Tests
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response

The WIDAL report is H 1:160

For diagnosis of Typhoid with WIDAL, we usually consider O > or = 1:100.
H titers can be elevated even after the infection and it take couple of months for it come down. If had any viral infection or any other infection n between, again H titers go up.
SO its not specific and is not of much importance.

It should not be a problem for you w.r.t MOH

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran
Answered: Wed, 29 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor