Why my vision is turning black and eyes searching for a focal point ? This mostly happens when I work closely

Every so often my vision goes black for about 1 second, and it feels like my eyes are srambling around searching for a focal point. Then (after about 1 second), my vision returns and everything is normal again. This usually happens when I am doing close work: reading, taking notes, intense crafts, etc. This began happening about 5-6 years ago, though it only happened maybe once every few months. Now it can happen as much as 3-6 times a day, though it mostly happens much less... Maybe once every few days, depending on how much close work I m doing. I m 23, female, no drugs, drinking, or smoking, healthy lifestyle (mostly vegan), mother of 2.
Sun, 15 Jan 2012
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
Ma'am you need to mention your daily routine work and visit an ophthalmologist to check for convergence insufficiency
Ophthalmologist Dr. Nimitt Jain's  Response
this is due to either convergence insufficiency or may be due to accommodation weakness.
but for your age is is most probably due to convergence weakness ( inability to bring the eyes closer to each other for near work. u might be having latent squint.
Nichole's  Response
Thank you both for your help. After googling 'convergence insufficiency' and reading the symptoms, it does describe me very well. I will be making an appointment with an ophthalmologist soon.