Why is l-arginine and proanthocyanidine granules prescribed during pregnancy?

why is l- arginine and proanthocyanidine granules used during pregnancy? my doctor has suggested this medicine for my swelling feet and hands how does this help?
Fri, 8 Nov 2013
Anesthesiologist 's  Response
Thanks for writing in.

l- arginine and proanthocyanidine granules are vasodilators and increase the blood circulation in the placenta and therefore the amount of oxygen and nutrients reaching the baby. Since you have swelling in feet and hands, there is water retention. This can cause placental insufficiency which may be harmful for the baby.

By giving l- arginine and proanthocyanidine granules any problems relating to restricted blood supply to the placenta can be controlled.

Hope this helps