Why is a renal scan done while suffering from high BP?

My doctor wants me to have a renal scan. The medication he has prescribed has not gotten my blood pressure under control and he ordered the scan. I m not sure what he is looking for. Can you tell me how a renal scan can give him the information he needs concerning high blood pressure?
Sat, 25 Aug 2018
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hello!

I understand your concern and would explain that a renal angio CT scan would help investigate for possible narrowing of the renal arteries, which is a common cause of uncontrolled high blood pressure.

Other tests to consider would be:

- aldosterone and cortisol plasma levels for adrenal gland dysfunction
- urinary metanephrines for pheochromocytoma
- kidney and liver function tests
- blood electrolytes for possible imbalances
- thyroid hormone levels.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.