Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Why doesn't my 2 and half year old child talk and what measures can I take ?

hello gu evening i am jyothsna my son have 2.10years till now he can t talk any thing wat is the problem can u suggest me how to approch
Asked On : Sat, 12 Mar 2011
Answers:  1 Views:  63
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Dear Jyothsna,
Thanks for choosing healthcare magic to get answer to your queries. I am really sorrry to hear about your sons's problem and am sure it must be arousing a lot of anxiety and questions in your mind.
A child's development happens in a step by step manner..neck control leading to sitting to crawling to standing to walking...similarly for speech his oral musculature should be developing appropriately as in is he cutting his he able to chew and eat ..does he produce any sounds at all or is completly mute..How would you rate his hearing ability..does he respond to when called, respond to loud noises or sounds in the environment...hearing is dircectly reated to speech acquisition.And if your son is doing all his other activities like showing curiosity , responding emotionaly age appropriately , is able to walk etc then the speech might just be delayed. But this defenetily calls for an immediate assessment so we'r do not miss out any need for assisstance that your son may require.
Please visit a speech language pathlogist for a detailed assessment immediately to check for any gap in speech development and if required you may also have to get an appointment with a audiologist to get his hearing ability assessd too..
and before you go It would be great if you could write observations about his current hearing responses as well as if hes producing any sounds like "dada" or maybe just aaaaaaaaaaaa or ooooo or eeeee...
Please do revert back and let us know the assessment results and for any other assisstance required

All the best
Smriti Sawhney
Clinical Psychologist
RCI-Reg no -A-12344
Answered: Sat, 12 Mar 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor