Why does the rib cage hurt during pregnancy?

Hi Dr. Nirja! I am 27 weeks pregnant and have pain in my right side below rib cage. Its a pointed pain and sometimes becomes very severe. Pressing with hand helps to relieve pain little bit. Also recently I have started using thermal pads, which relieves pain for sometime. Could you suggest reason for this pain and anything to relieve it? Thanks.
Thu, 28 Jun 2018
OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Pain in rib cage is due to the stretching of the ligaments caused by the enlargement of the uterus. It is relaxed in a particular position, and there is no treatment for it.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.