Why does my 5 yr old frequently gets blood in the nose ?

i have a 5yr old son. Frequently he gets blood in the nose? We taught may be due to heat. Please suggest me what to do?
Tue, 24 Jan 2012
hi
nose blood vessels are thin and fragile.
so if they r more sensitive then he may get bleeding frequently.
better to consult ent doctor.
cautery of blood vessels will solve problem for ever
General & Family Physician Dr. Mohammed Tauseef's  Response
Hi Asha, Welcome to HealthcareMagic Forum
Your son is suffering from Epistaxis, Does he nose pick often? You should be taking him to a ENT specialist to rule out the exact cause. There are various causes for it, all these factors has to be ruled out and the treatment is symptomatic as well as depending upon the cause.When he bleeds, make him Sit upright and lean forward, Pinch his nose for few seconds and discourage him from picking his nose, Seek medical care immediately if, The bleeding lasts for more than 20 minutes.

Good Luck and Take Care.
Pediatrician Dr. Suryakanta Baraha's  Response
hello asha,
it may be dule to dry hot climate but other causes like allergies, irritated mucous membranes in her nose, frequent nose picking, upper respiratory trct infections and bleeding disorders. so better to clear all your doubts by consulting ent specialist.just follw some simple tricks to control bleeding-
1-have your child lean forward (if she leans back she may swallow the blood and cough or choke)
2-squeeze the tip or soft part of your child's nose, just below the bony part, so that her nostrils are closed. You can do this with your fingers, tissue, or a washcloth, and this will allow the blood to pool in her nose and help it clot quicker
3-continue to squeeze her nose for 2 to 3 minutes and try to avoid frequently checking to see if it is still bleeding. After five or ten minutes, when you finally do release the pressure on her nose, if it is still bleeding, then hold it for another 2 to 3 minutes.
but you should consult the dr. first if its repeated and severe. take care.