Why do liver stones form?

My husband was informed today that he has a stone in his liver. What is this? could it be a gallstone blocking the liver bile from processing? is surgery required? Unfortunately, I did not hear the conversation and my husband has dementia and does not always remember all details
Mon, 12 Nov 2018

These stones are only diagnosed when they block a bile duct and cause pain. There are many factors that may cause stones to develop, like being overweight, unhealthy eating habits, lack of exercises, genetic factors, problems with the gall bladders or diet.

The type of surgery that he might require will depend upon his reports like USG, CT, MRCP, HIDA scan, ERCP investigations which will help him to get evaluated about the severity of the developing pathology (stones.)

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Nupur K,