Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Why do i get weired heartbeat and tingling sensation after i quitt smoking ?

hi im a 51 year old female, stopped smoking 6 months ago after kicking a 40 year habit, recently iv been getting a really weird sensation in my chest like a funny heart beat then right afterwards a tingling going through my body, its very scary and i keep thinking im going to have a heart attack or a stroke, what doyou think.This happens when im in bed trying to get to sleep.
Asked On : Fri, 24 Jun 2011
Answers:  3 Views:  117
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Cardiologist, Interventional 's  Response
What you are feeling could be an extra heart beat, also called as an ectopic beat or an extra-systole. If it is happening frequently, it can be recorded by an ECG. If it happens only a few times a day, it needs a 24 hour Holter monitor to record it. At your age and with the long history of smoking, you need a complete cardiac evaluation including tests for BP, sugar, cholesterol, kidney function, hemoglobin, ECG, echo, chest x-ray and a treadmill test. There is still time to take preventive steps to avert major, dont worry.
Answered: Fri, 24 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Bhupinderjit Kaur Waraich's  Response
Yes, after a cardiology check up- if all is well, the symptoms could be of a panic attack- medications can help as well learning how to deal with a panic attack- relaxation exercises plus having a plan in mind to deal with the symptoms when they begin is adjunctive and helpful.
Answered: Mon, 27 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Psychiatrist Dr. Susanta Padhy's  Response
Hi, Thanks for the question
Usually Nicotine withdrawal symptoms stops after few months of smoking cessation, sometimes it can cross 6 months. one of these symptom can be your symptoms.However, because you had 40 years history of smoking and you are now 51 years old, better to have a cardiology check-up. Nonetheless, sleep hygiene and dose anxiolytics with sedative property might help, on the contrary. But be careful to not to use these drugs frequently and for a long time. A psychiatrist consultation would be helpful, too. Wish you a good luck.
Answered: Fri, 24 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor