Why do feet and hands swell in view of pancreas cancer?

My father has pancreas cancer( metastatic stage). He was taking all sorts of drugs starting from gemcitabine, gemzar, avastin and morphine for pain. He recently started a new treatment that combine 4 different drugs. He is feeling a lot better, he is not in pain anymore but his feet are swollen and now his hands are starting to do that. What does this mean? Should I be concerned ? Is this just an side effect or does it have a bigger meaning? And what can we do to stop them from swelling more?
Thu, 9 Jul 2015
Pulmonologist 's  Response
Thanks for your question on Health Care Magic.
I can understand your father's situation and problem.
Chemotherapy drugs can cause renal toxicity and alter it's function. So renal damage is one possibility for his feet and hand swellings.
So get done renal function test to rule out renal toxicity.
Another possibility is hypoproteinemia. Pancreatic cancer causes decrease functions of pancreas gland. So absorption of protein from gut is reduced. And hence hypoproteinemia is seen. This can also cause swelling in feet and hands.
So also get done serum protein levels. If this is low than he needs additional protein supplements in the form of albumin injections and high protein diet.
Hope I have solved your query.
Wishing good health to your father. Thanks.