Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Why do I get pain at the back of the neck along with numbness in the hand as soon as I wake up ?

My age is 34 yrs and I have a pain from last 2 years at back side of my neck. Earlier it was once in 2 or 3 months for max 3 days, but now it it is regular. It happens on both side, starts from just below the Ear upto shoulder . Presently my pain is from last 15 days, it pains more just after wake up from bed. I consult only once a doctor about this and it doubts about Spondylitist. Last year I also felt a sensation on half portion on thumb of my right hand. My question, is it a serious problem ? To whom I consult in Kolkata, India ?
Asked On : Wed, 11 May 2011
Answers:  3 Views:  71
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist 's  Response
welcum to healthcaremagic
ur problem seems to be a cervical spondylosis.
better u go n consult a physio near by.
u hv to take sum sittings of traction snd IFT.
definitely ur problem will cum down.
tk cr
Answered: Fri, 13 May 2011
I find this answer helpful
Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist Dr. Sanjay Sharma's  Response
dear pt

after seeing your complaints it appears you are suffering from FMS[ FIBROMYALGIA SYNDROME].start with nortryptiline 25 mg before retire to bed first 2 days .then bid subsequently for next10 days see wonderful response.

no need to take analgesic anymore.

but drowsiness and dryness are known side effect of said medicine
Answered: Fri, 13 May 2011
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani's  Response
Hi,thanks for query.It seems that you sleeping posture is not good.Because of that your muscles are under tension when you sleep so that cause pain when you wake up.please avoid using too big pillow or round pillow.Try some light message on the affected part.Apply some analgesic cream over it.You can take help of physiotherapist and ortho surgeon in case of persistence of problem.bye.
Answered: Wed, 11 May 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor