Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Why am I gettin eye pains and irritation after a cataract operation ?

I had cataract removed from left eye 4 weeks ago and put in steroid drops as prescribed. I did go for my checkup and told the doctor that I was getting flashing lights now and again. He did check it out and said there was some gel coming away and hopefully once it come away will be okay. I woke up this morning with my eye throbbing and stinging. It has been like this since 7am and I m getting concerned. Any advice please
Asked On : Fri, 27 Apr 2012
Answers:  3 Views:  317
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
Dear Friend,

Your symptoms clearly suggest that after 4 weeks of your surgery you are/have developing/developed posterior vitreous detachment (PVD). PVD is a natural phenomenon that occur in all eyes and is related to aging and may get aggravated after surgery. This happens because of degeneration of the vitreous (gel with in the eye) and this degeneration changes pulling on to the retina (the neuro-sensory layer in eye). This pull leads to stretch in retina that gets stimulated and generates impulses visible to us as flashes of light. After a few days of constant pull vitreous gets completely detached from the retinal surface, thus your flashes will also cease or die off.

You would have seen the ophthalmologist and he would have adviced you to taper the dose of steroids after 4 week of surgrey. Sometimes the postoperative reactions normally seen immediately after surgery (for which quantuam of medicines drops are prescribed) reoccurs after stopping medicines or tapering the dose. These manifests as eye throbbing, stinging, blurred vision and even headace. You are required to continue the treatment, and may increase the dose of medicine to the immediate postoperative levels. Best is to consult your eye surgeon and take his advice as he will be in best condition to assess your present condition after having a look into your eyes. Take care
Answered: Sun, 29 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
Ophthalmologist Dr. Vishwas Varma's  Response
get yr fundus examination and eye pressure reading..kindly get yr eyes rechecked by the doctor who has operated u..
Answered: Fri, 27 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
Ophthalmologist Dr. Kumar Sambhav's  Response
dont might be endopthalmitis post your doctor now
Answered: Fri, 27 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor