Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Whitish yellow spot on molar, dull pain, swollen gums. Root canal done. Cause of concern?

My back molar tooth has a yellow/ whiteish circle like with a small dot in it on my gum. I have a cap on that tooth. and had a root canal and they took out the nerves soo it does really hurt but there is a dull pain and my gum looks alittle swallon. What do you think it is? and is it somthing i should be conserned about?
Asked On : Tue, 25 Sep 2012
Answers:  8 Views:  715
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
OBGYN 's  Response
Hello dear
You have mentioned that you have got your root canal done for that particular tooth and you are suffering from pain and swelling of the surrounding soft tissues now . This clearly indicates that the root canal treatment was not very effective and hence you need to go for a re treatment.
Due to this Root canal treatment failure you still have an existing infection in the root canal , hence tooth and since this tooth is already capped , there is no way out for the pus( developed due to the infection) therefore you see a yellow spot which is actually a sinus opening for the pus.
You should start with warm saline rinses 4-5 times a day and Antibiotic (amoxycillin -500 mg twice a day for 5 days) and a pain killer if required.This is just an immediate treatment
You need to Visit your dentist soon and get a retreatment done to get rid of this infection.
Take care
Dr. Asra

Answered: Sat, 29 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Katta R Venkatesh's  Response
It seems like sinus opening where pus discharge might be there, it needs dental x-ray to find out any secondary infection or periodontal infection. Now you can start with antibiotics like amoxicillin 500 mg twice daily for 5 days and aceclofenac tab, both after food. its better to take antacid like pantaprozole 40mg 15 mins before food to avoid gastric irritation. Use some luke warm water and salt in it and rinse your mouth.

As soon as possible visit dentist
No need get worried

Dr Katta R Venkatesh
Answered: Wed, 26 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Ashwini Suri's  Response
A crowned root canaled tooth with a swelling in the gums ... Seems to me like u are having an abscess in that tooth. The whitish yellow nodule cud be a sinus discharging pus in your oral cavity. What u need is1. A dose of antibiotics and painkillers. 2. An intraoral xray of that tooth to see its condition. 3. A re-rct of the tooth with a minor apicoectomy if required if the tooth structure and surrounding tissues are sound 4. If condition of tooth is bad then naturally extraction is a treatment of choice.
In the meantime keep gud oral hygiene with salt water rinses.
Answered: Tue, 25 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
hello and welcome,
your tooth has infected either due to improper root canal treatment or due to a improper crown placement.
visit your dentist and get an x-ray to rule out the cause.
try to maintain the capped tooth hygienically as there is more chance of plaque accumulation.
use soft inter dental brush to prevent accumulation of food debris.remove the cap by your dentist and get your teeth cleaned.root planning also can be done if there is subgingival plaque accumulation.
if there is still vital pulp remaining after the rct has done,re-rct has to be done to remove the remaining vital pulp tissue as it can cause pain and periapical inflammation.
take tab.doxycycline-100 mg once a day for 7 days to reduce gingivitis.
the swelling can also be due to gap between the teeth ,which can be corrected by restoration,tissue grafting.
get scaling done in every 6 months.
take care.
Answered: Tue, 25 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Sapna Purwaha's  Response
it seem your tooth cap does not fit over tooth properly
affecting your gums causing it too swell.
i would advise you get it clinically diagnosed and may
be get you cap removed qnd refit over tooth.
rinse mouth with warm saline water.
use soft bristles brush to clean the concerned
Answered: Tue, 25 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Aashish Tiwari's  Response
Thank you for your query,
well its quite hazy to understand what yellowish circle your referring to but leaving it apart yes your case can be well understood.the dull pain your referring to, is the periodontal pain / gingival pain as the crown fitted on to your molar seems to be ill fitting.i can surely point out it to be the crown as you have said your gum is swollen.i would highly recommend you to go back to your dentist and have the crown checked again any delayed in the long run can cause localized bone resorption and gum recession .for temporary pain relief you may have the analgesic which your dentist must have had prescribed on your first that of root canal treatment. and yes you need to be concerned about it, as it is your most important tooth for chewing.

regards Dr.Aashish..
Answered: Tue, 25 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Neha Sumra's  Response
welcome to HCM,
I read your problem and it indicates abscess formation.
Cause can be:-
-faulty RCT
-improper oral hygiene
I need to know whether you feel sensitivity to hot & cold in same tooth???
Secondly do you have some salty discharge from same??
You should go for proper investigation i.e. an IOPAR done & concern your dentist for same.
Meanwhile start with Amoxicillin-Clavulanic acid combination twice a day along with diclomol thrice a day for 3 days.Also try to maintain proper oral hygiene by regular brushing & using mouthwash.
Take Care

Answered: Tue, 25 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Mukesh Asrani's  Response
Your whitish yellow spot with a small dot on it seems to be a Parulis (gum boil). This is a sign of root canal faliure on your affected tooth. I would advise you to visit your dentist. He will take an X ray and treat your tooth accordingly.

Thank you and take care
Dr. Mukesh Asrani
Answered: Wed, 26 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor